Monday, November 28, 2011

Cutting tables

After spending many MANY hours reading others sewing blogs, I saw that many people had specially built cutting tables.  As I said in my last post, I can't stand cutting out fabric for sewing.  So, I hatched plans for a cutting table.  I was going to get my partner to make one, but when we sat down and worked it out, it turned out that a table from Ikea would be a better idea (that, and we'd have to do painting or something - and I'm not handy at all, so that would have been an unmitigated disaster!).  After reading the Ikea catalogue too many times (I always order it because we never seem to get it - it's such awesome bedtime reading), I decided on the Vika table with adjustable legs - you need a table height of at least 85cm for cutting to be comfortable.


Here's the table with the fabric I'm working on right now.  I'm making my partner boxer shorts!  He's going to Japan to celebrate the end of med school, and I want to 'mark' my territory if you will ;)  And they're a very delayed birthday present for him (early October).



It's really comfortable to cut with - no bending or anything!  The height is as high as it will go.  I had to grab one of our rarely used kitchen stools and I've setup the presser foot on a box :)

Forgot to mention - I set it up all on my own!  I may have owies on my hands from the screwdriver though.  I guess I can follow instructions!

1 comment:

  1. BOXER SHORTS!!!!

    why must we sew boxer shorts?

    (currently starting a pair for ruggy. i like the whole marking the territory thing.)

    ReplyDelete